DC Bomb Threat Suspect Ruled Competent, Pleads Not Guilty – NBC4 Washington

0

The North Carolina man charged with a bomb threat that shut down Capitol Hill last month has pleaded not guilty to federal charges, including attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, as a judge l ‘found it competent to continue the case after adjustments were made to his medication. diet.

Floyd Roseberry appeared in court virtually Wednesday from DC jail. He is due to return to court on October 8 and remain in prison until further hearings.

Roseberry is accused of threatening to have a bomb in his van, triggering a standoff outside the Library of Congress. He is also accused of producing a live stream of the deadlock on Facebook, speaking of his objections to the 2020 presidential election.

The incident forced the closure of much of Capitol Hill and the evacuation of some buildings.

In a phone call with News4, Roseberry’s wife said her husband left their home and said he was going on a fishing trip. She said she had no idea he was heading to DC

He has recently become more politically active and voted for the first time in his life for former President Donald Trump, she said. She said her husband was deeply upset by the 2020 election results and also faced mental health issues.

Roseberry drove a black van down a sidewalk outside the Thomas Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress on 1st Street SE around 9:15 a.m. on August 19, police said. Officers responded to a disruption call.

The Library of Congress and three Capitol Hill office buildings were evacuated as police investigated.

The FBI Washington Field Office, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and DC Police responded to the scene, along with numerous fire trucks and Capitol Police vehicles. Police sent snipers to the area.

Roseberry finally got out of the truck and climbed after about five hours, before 2:30 p.m., and the area reopened around 4:30 p.m.

There were few lawmakers and staff in the Capitol complex. Some staff were seen calmly leaving the area on orders from the authorities.

Photos: Bomb threat near US Capitol under investigation

It was the first time that the Capitol’s office buildings had been evacuated since the January 6 uprising.

Capitol Police and DC Police have been on high alert since the insurgency.

Officer Billy Evans died in an attack outside the Capitol in April. A man slammed into police at a barricade, then jumped out of the car with a knife.



Source link

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply